Saturday, May 1, 2010

What Is So Important About Small Things?

I don't think I fully understand the great IMPORTANCE of small things. Even as I start thinking about God's Word and what the Lord has said about this, I am completely blown out of the water! One thing that stands out to me about small things is humility. You have to stoop to see them, you must stop and take the time to notice it and they are always there but you must search for them. There are several verses in scripture where God seems to delight in small things:

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;" Corinthians 1:27
"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." Mat 10:29-30
"And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? " Matthew 6:28-30
"And Samuel said, When thou wast little in thine own sight, wast thou not made the head of the tribes of Israel, and the LORD anointed thee king over Israel?" 1 Samuel 15:17
"But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven." Mat 19:14

These are just a few passages, but God continues to show me that small things DO and WILL count for eternity! I think one of the reasons why God delights in small things is that they are one the keys to greatness. Jesus demonstrated this AMAZINGLY when He washed His disciples feet. After humbling Himself, stooping down and caring for the "small things" He said this "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."John 13:13
Wow, that is awesome! I am so thankful that I have the privilege to follow Christ's example every day, but many times it's the small things that accomplish this task! So in short don't pass these small things up because if you do, you might be missing out on an incredible opportunity to recognize who God is!!!

A couple small things...











Psalms 139:14-16

1 comment:

  1. Nate, what a neat observation! Thank you for sharing this encouragement with us! I've been blessed! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete